Pages

June 7, 2015

DML2015. The Open Show: Connected Learning Without Expensive Acronyms




I'm sharing these links here and also with Alan as he preps our nifty website for DML2015. I'm really glad we are going to have that site; the idea of doing a presentation where you have to be a certain place at a certain time is so alien to me (yes, I am the Queen of Asynchrony), but with the website, we'll be able to share a lot of great stuff with everybody anywhere who is interested. I'll be sharing that here when it's all ready to go! Even for people who manage to get to the conference (it's in LA), just choosing which sessions to attend is crazy-making, and you can imagine how terrible I feel that our session is scheduled for the exact same time (11AM Thursday, June 11) as the session about the Prema Film School in Lucknow: “Son Enough”: Enabling Voice, Visibility, Equality, and Agency among Girls in India. Which just happens to be the session I would be most excited to attend of the whole conference. ARGH!!!!!!! How cruel is that?????

Meanwhile, here are the links that I'll be using in my super-brief "presentation" part of THE OPEN SHOW which will just be 5 minutes or so for each of us (Alan Levine with Feed Word Press, Jonathan Worth with Phonar, Tim Owens with Domain of One's Own, Erin Richey and Ben Werdmuller with Known... and my RSS+Random everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink thing that sadly does not even have a name). I'll be quickly covering these items:
  1. Course Hubs: RSS can gather up your course blogs so that you can read them in one place and also share that combined stream with others.
  2. Assignment Streams: RSS can also gather specific content from all the course blogs (like different types of assignments) into combined streams.
  3. Inoreader.com: I use Inoreader to aggregate the blog posts, manage my blog reading, and also create combined streams to share with others.
  4. Randomized Student Projects: Random content widgets allow you to explore lots of content in a way that is fun and also efficient.
  5. RotateContent.com: I use RotateContent to turn simple HTML tables into randomizing widgets (it writes the javascript for you).
  6. Randomized Blog Groups: To help students connect with lots of other students in class, I use a simple spreadsheet to create random groups.