Pages

November 1, 2013

Automotivator: A Poster-Making Tool

Of course everybody is familiar with the genius "demotivator" posters from Despair.com. Here is just one of many:


This is such a wonderful visual medium to work with, and for the past year I've been creating hundreds of proverb-based posters, in English and in other languages too, using Wigflip's Automotivator tool. The tool is very easy to use, and if you start with a high-res image you can even use it to generate a poster for printing, not just for use on the web. I've tried out other poster generators (there are lots, of course), but this one is simple while giving me the features I need. This poster-maker is a tool that I recommend to my students as an extra-credit Tech Tip. After all, why look for existing posters to express your ideas when you can create your own?

Meanwhile, the blog space where I keep my posters is The Proverb Laboratory (which is also where I keep my LOLCats; I'll say something about that in a separate post). I re-use many of these proverb posters in my class announcements, with one new poster every day. Here, for example, is today's poster - it's a proverb from India (which is nice, as one of the classes I teach is Indian Epics): The snake goes crookedly, yet it arrives straight within its hole.